FORK 1003 Preparatory course in Mathematics
- Course description for FORK 1003 Preparatory course for MSc in Business, a preparatory course for MSc in Business/Finance that covers the topics mathematics, economics, and econometrics.
- This is the web page for the mathematics part of the course. See the course description and It's Learning for economics and econometrics.
- For material from last year's preparatory course, see FORK 1003 Mathematics 2019/20
- [ME] Simon, Blume, Mathematics for Economists, International Student Edition, Norton 1994
- The self-test can be taken before the FORK 1003 Preparatory course in Mathematics (to see if you need to follow the course), or after the preparatory course (to see if you have learned the material and are prepared for your MSc courses).
- Self-test: Test for FORK 1003 Preparatory course in Mathematics - Solutions
- Self-evaluation: Max score for each problem on the test is given, with a total of 84p. A score of 50p or more is acceptable, a score of 65p or more is very good, and a score of 75-84p is excellent.
- This is a preliminary lecture plan for August 2020. Due to corona/covid-19, there will also be live streaming of the lectures. We hope that many students can follow the lectures live at campus.
- I can be contacted by email. My office in BI Nydalen is B4-032.
|All lectures||Recorded videos: See It's Learning|
|Mon Aug 03: 0900-1145, A1-040||Lecture 1: Linear systems and Gaussian elimination||[ME] 6.1, 7.1 - 7.3||[ME] 7.1 - 7.3, 7.12 - 7.16|
|Mon Aug 03: 1400-1645, A1-040||Lecture 2: Functions in one variable and the derivative||[ME] Chapter 2 - 5||[ME] 2.11, 5.1, 5.3, 5.5, 5.8 + Extra Problems|
|Tue Aug 04: 0900-1145, A1-040||Lecture 3: Vectors and matrices, matrix multiplication, inverse matrices||[ME] 8.1 - 8.4, 10.1 - 10.3||[ME] 8.1, 8.2, 8.5, 8.15, 8.18, 8.20, 8.22, 10.5|
|Tue Aug 04: 1400-1645, A1-040||Lecture 4: Optimization in one variable. Integration.||[ME] Chapter 13 - 14, Appendix A4||[ME] Extra problems|
|Wed Aug 05: 0900-1145, A1-040||Lecture 5: Determinants||[ME] 9.1 - 9.2, 26.1 - 26.3||[ME] 9.1, 9.7, 9.8, 9.11, 26.1, 26.2, 26.13, 26.22|
|Wed Aug 05: 1400-1645, A1-040||Lecture 6: Partial derivatives and optimization in two variables||[ME] Chapter 17 - 18||[ME] 17.1 + Extra Problems|